College of Engineering, Technology, and Computer Science

What can I do??

Can I do more than one concentration and/or minor?

Yes, although there are only 18 credit hours required in the concentration/minor portion of the OLS B.S. program a student can earn an additional concentration or minor if desired.

Can I finish a minor and/or concentration after I graduate?

No, a minor and/or concentration must be completed at the time of graduation.

If I repeat a course, what happens to the first grade I received in the course?

Repeating a course replaces the previous grade on your academic record, regardless of whether the grade is better, worse, or the same. The old grade will still be listed in your permanent record (transcript). The most recent grade will be the one counted in your overall GPA.

Can I replace a grade in a particular course by taking a different course?

Generally no you can’t, but in certain instances this may be possible. The university must consider the two courses as equivalent. Please check with your academic advisor.

How often should I see the academic advisor?

Every semester is not uncommon for many students. At a minimum you should visit the academic advisor once a year to ensure that your academic records are up-to-date and accurate.

I am registering on OASIS and I get a “prerequisite test score” error. What do I do?

The message is telling you that you have not completed a course that is required for entry into a specific course or that you have not taken your placement tests. There may be many reasons for this error: for example, you may not have taken the prerequisite course or you may have taken the prerequisite course at another university and OASIS does not recognize it. Call the OLS office and we will check your records and help resolve the situation.

What is the difference between a concentration and a minor?

A concentration is selected courses in a specific area of study and may contain courses from various disciplines such as OLS, Communications, Psychology, etc. The combination of courses focuses the learning on a specific area of the workplace, i.e., health care, human resources, environmental health and safety, etc. Concentrations are established by OLS with the cooperation of other departments within IPFW.  A minor is a combination of classes focused in one area of learning; for example, Psychology, Communication, Business, etc. Another distinction between a concentration and minor is that a minor will appear on your transcript and a concentration will not.

Are there any scholarships offered through OLS?

Yes, the David P. Swinehart Memorial Scholarship is available to OLS students. Contact the OLS office for details.

I will be graduating next semester, so what do I need to do?

First, you need to apply for graduation. You can do that by going to the Office of the Registrar’s Web site, click on Graduation and complete the form that appears there. Second, you will need a graduation audit. Graduation audits are traditionally completed prior to registering for your final semester. Contact the OLS advisor to schedule a graduation audit.

I am working on my OLS Associate (Bachelor's) degree and I see that I have all of the classes for a Supervisory Leadership Certificate. Can I get the certificate?

The certificate option is available to community members who enter IPFW as non-degree seeking students and to students in good academic standing who are enrolled in non-OLS plans of study. OLS degree seeking students are not eligible to enter the certificate program.

What is the lowest passing grade for an OLS class?

If you are a student majoring in OLS (B.S. or A.S. program), or if you are a Supervisory Leadership Certificate student, you will must earn a grade of “C-” or better in all OLS classes. In addition, OLS majors must earn a grade of “C-” or better in ENG W131 and ENG W233 (or approved substitute).

Is there a GPA requirement for OLS?

Yes, transfer students and students planning to change their major to OLS must have a GPA of 2.00 or higher to be admitted into the program. A cumulative GPA of 2.00 or above is also required to remain in the program.