The mission of the Robotics and Control Laboratory (RCL) is to support teaching and research in the areas of robotics, machine vision, image processing, computational intelligence, control systems and related areas.
Types of Activities
- Autonomous Mobile Robots
- Wireless Mobile Robotic Networks
- Distributed Sensing using Smart Cameras
Active Self-Landmarking for Mobile Robot Navigation using Wireless Communications (Glenn Harden †)
Mobile robots lose knowledge of their position during navigation due to several reasons, such as wheel slippage, system reset, and mechanical shocks coming from irregular terrain. The use of landmarks has been widely proposed and implemented for fast and accurate self-localization of mobile robots. A network of mobile robots travels together collecting information. The robots are equipped with cameras. The robots also have transceivers that allow for radio communications among themselves. Measurements of the radio communication links can be used to estimate the distance between a transmitter and a receiver, i.e. between robots. A novel concept of using active landmarks composed of particular patterns of LEDs is proposed for camera calibration and self-localization of the robots. (Supervisor: Dr. Liu, Co-Supervisor: Dr. Pomalaza-Ráez )
Books and Book Chapters
- Y. Liu and C. Pomalaza-Ráez, " Application of Active Self-Landmarking to Camera Calibration," International Journal of Computer Theory and Engineering.5 (1), 60-64, 2013
- Z. M. Bi, "Design of Spherical PKM for Ankle Rehabilitation," Advanced Robotics, DOI: 10.1080/01691864.2012.703306, 2013.
- K. Meruva, Z. M. Bi, D. Mueller, B. Kang, "Formulation and Validation of Multidisciplinary Design Problem on Wear and Fatigue Life of Lead-Screw Actuators," Mathematical Problems in Engineering, Volume 2013, Article ID 303967, 2013.
- Z. M. Bi, B. Kang, “Sensing and Responding to the Changes of Geometric Surfaces in Reconfigurable Manufacturing and Assembly”, Enterprise Information Systems, DOI: 10.1080/17517575.2012.654826, 2013.
- L. Xu, C. Wang, Z. M. Bi, J. Yu, “Object-Oriented Templates for Automated Assembly Planning of Complex Products”, IEEE Transaction on Automation Science and Engineering, DOI: 10.1109/TASE.2012.2232652, 2013.
- J. Yu, L. Xu, Z. M. Bi, C. Wang. “Extended Interference Matrices for Exploded Views of Assembly Planning”, IEEE Transaction on Automation Science and Engineering, DOI: 10.1109/TASE.2012.2235144, 2013.
- N. Li, W. Yi, Z. M. Bi, et al., “An Optimization Method for Complex Product Design”, Enterprise Information Systems, DOI: 10.1080/17517575.2012.743682, 2013.
- N. Niu, L. Xu, Z. M. Bi, “Enterprise Information System Architecture Analysis and Evaluation”, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, DOI: 10.1109/TII.2013.2238948, 2013.
- Z. M. Bi, and L. Wang, "Energy Modeling of Machine Tool for Optimization of Machine Setup", IEEE Transaction on Automation Science and Engineering, 9(3):607-613, 2012.
- S. Shan, L. Wang, T. Xin, T, Z. M. Bi, “Developing a Rapid Response Production System for Aircraft Manufacturing”, International Journal of Production Economics, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2012.12.006, 2012.
- Y. Jin, Z. M. Bi, C. Higgins, M. Price, W. Chen and T. Huang, "Optimal Design of a New Parallel Kinematic Machine for Large Volume Machining," Advances in Reconfigurable Mechanisms and Robots I, Part 3, 343-354, DOI: 10.1007/978-1-4471-4141-9_31, 2012.
- L. Liu, , Z. M. Bi, et al. “An Integrated Systems Approach to Plateau Ecosystem Management – A Scientific Application in Qinghai and Tibet Plateau”, Information Systems Frontiers, DOI: 10.1007/s10796-012-9406-5, 2012.
- Y. Liu, "A Robotic Prototype System for Child Monitoring," International Journal of Robotics and Automation, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 177-189, 2011
- Z. M. Bi, and B. Kang, "Robotic Mechanisms with Desired and Undesired Motions," Advanced Robotics, 25(11-12): 1539-1556, 2011.
- Z. M. Bi, and Y. Jin, "Kinematic Modeling of Parallel Kinematic Machine Exechon," Robotics and Computer Integrated Manufacturing, 27(1):186-193, 2011.
- Z. M. Bi, Y. Lin, W. J. Zhang, "The General Architecture of Adaptive Robotic Systems for Manufacturing Applications," Robotics and Computer Integrated Manufacturing, 26(5): 461-470, 2010.
- Z. M. Bi, and L. Wang, "Dynamic Control Model of the Cobot with Three Omni-Wheels," Robotics and Computer Integrated Manufacturing, 26(6): 558-563, 2010.
- Z. M. Bi, and L. Wang, "Advances in 3D Data Acquisition and Processing for Industrial Applications," Robotics and Computer Integrated Manufacturing, 26(5): 403-413, 2010.
- Z. M. Bi, and B. Kang, "Enhancement of Adaptability of Parallel Kinematic Machines with an Adjustable Platform," ASME Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 132(9), doi: 10.1115/1.4003120, 2010.
- Y. Liu, J. Zhao, V. Dimitrov, A. Irish, C. Jones, S. Kirk, J. Thomas, and D. Welter, “An Entertaining Robot Prototype for Pets," Journal of Engineering, Design and Technology, Vol. 8, No. 2, 2010, pp. 189-205.
- Y. Liu and C. Pomalaza-Ráez, "On-Chip Body Posture Detection for Medical Care Applications Using Low-Cost CMOS Cameras," Journal of Integrated Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 17, No. 1. pp. 3-13, Jan. 2010
- Z. M. Bi, “An Integrated Environment for Visualization of Distributed Wireless Sensor Networks”, the 10th IEEE International Conference on Control & Automation (IEEE ICCA 2013), June 12-14, 2013, Hangzhou, China, 2013
- G. Harden, Y. Liu, and C. Pomalaza-Ráez, "The Development of Vision System for a Single-board RIO Robot," Proceedings of the 43rd International Symposium on Robotics, August 29-31, 2012, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Z. M. Bi, G. Wang, "Real-Time Error Predication for High-Precision Operation of Parallel Kinematic Machines," the 7th ASME Int. Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference, Paper number: MSEC2012-7201, Notre Dame, Indiana, USA, June 4-8, 2012.
- G. Wang, Z. M. Bi, "Incorporating Systems Engineering into the Senior Design – Autonomous Lawn Mowing Machine," American Society for Engineering Education, March 17, 2012, Valparaiso University, Valparaiso, Indiana, 2012 IL/IN Sectional Conference, 2012.
- Y. Jin, Z. M. Bi, R. Gibson, P. McToal, C. Higgins, "Kinematic Analysis of a New Over-Constraint Parallel Kinematic Machine," Proceedings of IFToMM 2011 World Congress, June 19-25, Guanajuato, Mexico, 2011.
- Y. Liu and C. Pomalaza-Ráez, "Application of Active Self-landmarking to Camera Calibration," Proceedings of the International Conference on Machine Vision (ICMV 2010), December 28-30, 2010, Hong Kong, China.
- Z. M. Bi, and L. Wang, "Feasibility Study on a Collaborative Robot with Omni-Wheels," Proceedings of the 12th Mechatronics Forum Biennial International Conference, pp.114-120, Zurich, Switzerland, June 28-30, 2010.
- Y. Liu and C. Pomalaza-Ráez, "A Low-Complexity Algorithm for the On-Chip Moment Computation of Binary Images," in Proceeedings of the IEEE International Conference on Mechatronics and Automation, Changchun, August 9-12, 2009.
- Y. Liu and C. Pomalaza-Ráez, "Detection of Body Body Posture with Low-Cost CMOS Camera Systems for Applications in Medical Care," in Proceedings of the 2009 IEEE International Conference on Electro/Information Technology, Windsor, Ontario, Canada, June 7-9 2009
- Y. Liu and J. Zhao, "A Kicking Mechanism for a Soccer Playing Robot – a Multidisciplinary Senior Design Project," in Proceedings of the ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Austin, TX, June 2009.